An increasingly well-liked dog breed is the Aussie Beagle mix, a cross between the energetic Australian Shepherd and the attractive Beagle. No two of these dogs look exactly alike; some may have more Australian than Beagle family history, while others may look more like their Beagle parent. Be prepared for variations in coat patterns, weight, and size. They typically have a friendly, intelligent, and active temperament.
Their Beagle heritage gives them a keen sense of smell and curious nature, while their Australian Shepherd heritage gives them a work ethic. Giving these dogs a lot of exercise and consistent training is essential. This special blend exudes a charm all its own and promises to liven up any home it enters. So let’s explore more about the Australian Shephard Beagle mix.
Australian Shepherd Beagle Mix History
In the world of mixed breed dogs, the Aussie Beagle mix, also called the “Sheagle,” is a relatively new breed. Although its origins are unclear, it is stated somewhere that it began in the late 21st century. On the other hand, the Australian shepherd parent was created in the US for herding farm animals. They are favored among breeds because of their intelligence, ethical behavior, and hard work.
Beagles are famous for their keen sense of smell and are originally from England. The goal when combining the two breeds was to create a lively, friendly, and intelligent companion animal. So, if you’re looking for a hardworking and playful dog, the Aussie Beagle, also known as the Australian Shepherd Beagle mix, could be a great fit.
i) Australian Shepherds
Australian Shepherds originated in the United States and are widely recognized as a quintessential American breed. As of my knowledge cutoff in 2021, the Aussie Shepherd ranks #17 in the American Kennel Club’s breed popularity chart.
As they are fondly known, Aussies are renowned for their intelligence. The Australian Shepherd is a mid-sized breed, typically ranging between 18 and 23 inches high at the shoulder. Their weight generally ranges from a solid 40 to a hefty 65 pounds. Sporting a dense, double-layered coat, Aussies can showcase a spectrum of colors, such as blue merle, red merle, sleek black, and rich red. One of their most captivating features is their eyes, which can be an enchanting blue, a deep brown, or a mesmerizing mix.
Beagles are small-to-medium dogs known for their high scent, expressive eyes, and floppy ears. Their coat is easy to care for and comes in several color combinations, the most common being tri-color (black, white, and brown). Beagles are known for their cheerful and friendly temperament. They are the most lovable creatures that enjoy the company of people and other pets. Beagles traditionally hunt dogs, classified as “scent hounds.” Their powerful sense of smell is used in scent detection roles at airports and law enforcement.
They make wonderful family pets, known for their love of play and their bond with their owners. However, their strong hunting instinct can sometimes lead them to follow a scent, potentially ignoring commands. A healthy Beagle can live between 13 to 16 years, which is relatively long in the canine world.
Australian Shepherd and Beagle Mix: Physical Characteristics
The physical characteristics of the Australian Shepherd and Beagle mix depend on the breed proportions in the mix. These dogs are eye-catching and very large, generally kids friendly and decent as their parents. Below are the physical characteristics like size, color, coat, tail, weight, and pretty ears described in detail.
1. Just the Perfect Size
Meet your perfect mid-sized companion. The Australian Shepherd Beagle mix typically tips the scales between 25-60 pounds and stands proudly at a height of 15-20 inches.
2. Coat and Colors
Their coat is a true spectacle, covering the thick double coat of an Aussie Shepherd. The color palette varies widely, exploding shades from black to white, brown to blue merle, or a delightful mix of these.
3. Eye-Catching Eyes
In a twist of genetic charm, they often inherit heterochromia from their Australian Shepherd parent – an interesting feature where each eye flaunts a different color. It’s a captivating sight, although!
4. Ears That Express
The ears of an Aussie Beagle mix can be as decent as their parent- sometimes they’re floppy like a Beagle’s, and at other times, they stand up straight like an Australian Shepherd. It all depends on the luck.
5. Tale of the Tail
Their tails, too, add to their distinct look. They might sport the long tail of a Beagle or flaunt the naturally bobbed tail of an Australian Shepherd. With this mix, variety is definitely a given. Remember, like all mixed breeds, the physical features can widely depend, even within the same litter. The above characteristics are just the general tendencies observed in this mixed breed.
Facts about the Australian Shepherd Beagle Mix
These are very sensitive and crossbreed and high intelligence available in all sizes. Dogs are affectionate, active, need 2 hours of exercise daily. Moderate shedding, grooming 2-3 times/week and not hypoallergenic. Good with kids and dogs, needs early socialization with cats. These are human friendly need plenty of training and feeding 1.5-2.5 cups in a day. More related informations are explained below.
1. Medium Size
These dogs are of average size and great fit for various homes, whether big houses or cozy apartments. Obviously, they enjoy exercising, so make sure there is room for that!
2- Exercise Required
Aussie Beagles love to be active. To keep them active physically and mentally, they must go on frequent walks, engage in interactive play, and engage in mind-stimulating activities.
3- Training Time
While intelligent, they can exhibit some stubbornness due to their Beagle ancestry. This means that the best results come from consistent training combined with lots of patience and optimism.
4- Health Awareness
Being a mixed breed, they can sometimes inherit health concerns from their parent breeds – think hip dysplasia or epilepsy. Regular visits to the vet will ensure they stay on top of their health game.
These energetic dogs also have a handsome lifespan, typically between 12 to 15 years. That’s a lot of quality time for you and your four-legged friend.
Understing the Temperament and Traits
- Social Creature: Australian Shepherd Beagle mix love to be around people’s company and flourish when included in family events. They’re all about bonding and forming strong connections with their human family.
- Full with Energy: You would never notice the dull spirit around them. Their energy keeps them on their toes, always eager for physical and mental challenges.
- A Heart Full of Love: Their loyalty towards their humans is a sight to behold, complemented by their generous affection. Expect lots of cuddles and hugs!
- Bright and Fast Learners: One standout trait of this breed is their sharp intellect. Quick to grasp new commands, though they can also be a bit naughty at times.
- Vibrant and Sprightly: These furballs adore playtime and need regular activities to channel their brimming energy.
- A Dash of Stubbornness: While they are quite smart, they also carry a pinch of stubbornness. Training calls for consistency and a healthy dose of positive reinforcement.
How Much Does an Australian Shepherd Cost?
An Australian Shepherd Beagle mix’s price can vary depending on a number of factors. The reputation of the breeder, the puppy’s history, the colors of its coat, and your location all affect the final price. Typically, you might expect to pay between $500 and $1,200 for one of these special puppies. However, rescuing a dog from a shelter, which is a noble choice, could cost you between $50 and $300, which is a much more attainable range. Don’t forget that when you choose to adopt, you’re providing a worthy furry friend with a cozy and loving forever home.
Pros and Cons
Besides its Pros, the Australian Shepherd Beagle mix combines cons but in a decent way, which are discussed below.
- Companionable and loving: They are known for their fondness for companionship and love being in family settings, making them perfect for homes with lots of love to give.
- Clever and fast to Adapt: These dogs are smart and have the capacity to learn quickly, making it enjoyable to teach them new tricks and commands.
- Active and Full of Life: They are enthusiastic and love engaging in various games, making them perfect for those who enjoy outdoor activities.
- High Exercise Needs: They are energetic and require ample opportunities for exercise to prevent boredom and undesirable behaviors.
- Can Show Resistance: There may be moments of resistance during training due to their independent nature, which demands persistence and patience.
- Potential Health Issues: Like any other dog breed, they are the cause of certain health conditions. Ensuring they have a balanced diet and regular health checks is crucial, highlighting the commitment needed to own one.
Training and Exercising Your Aussie Beagle Mix: Tips & Tricks
- Praise and Prize: Remember, your Aussie Beagle mix thrives on approval. Treat your dog with pats and kind words to encourage them when they follow a command. This positive reinforcement will help them associate obedience with good things.
- Consistency is Key: Keep the rules constant. Changing commands or what’s allowed can confuse your dog, making training more difficult.
- Stay Patient: Patience is vital in this mix, as they can sometimes be stubborn. Stay calm and persistent, and they’ll eventually catch on.
- Keep them Alert: An Aussie Beagle mix covers a bundle of energy, so they need regular exercise. Regular walks, playtime, and space to run can help them burn off their abundant energy.
- Stimulate their Minds: Try involving them in engaging activities like treasure hunts, fetch, or agility training to keep their minds as active as their bodies.
- Secure Play Areas: These dogs have a strong scent drive, courtesy of their Beagle lineage. Ensure their exercise area is secure to prevent them from escaping while chasing an intriguing smell.
For the Australian Shepherd Beagle mix to thrive, it needs a balanced and age-appropriate diet. Here are a few tips:
- Serve a Balanced Diet: Ensure your pet gets a well-rounded diet with high-quality proteins, carbs, fats, and essential vitamins and minerals.
- Prioritize Quality Protein: Lean proteins like chicken, beef, and fish are vital for muscle growth and maintenance.
- Include Healthy Fats: Fats like fish oil or flaxseed ensure your pet gets the necessary Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids for a shiny coat and healthy skin.
- Tailor Diet to Age: From the growth phase of a puppy to the maintenance phase of an adult and the special needs of a senior, your pet’s dietary needs will change. Always provide age-appropriate food.
- Prevent Obesity: Keep a close eye on your pet’s weight. Overfeeding can lead to obesity. Always measure meals, limit treats, and ensure they get plenty of exercise to keep them in a healthy weight range.
The Australian Shepherd Beagle mix is a charming crossbreed filled with strength, intellect, and loyalty. They make great companions for active households because of their lively personalities and affectionate nature. The Australian Shepherd Beagle mix is a lovable addition to any family because every interaction with it brings happiness and a sense of adventure. You can ensure this adorable breed’s long, healthy life by providing attentive care, including balanced nutrition and an active exercise regimen. If you’re looking for a pet to add a dash of joy and joy to your life, this breed might be the ideal fit.